Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Remebering Pragya

Amidst all the shock and frustration over the attacks in Bombay, another horiffic news reached me. Pragya Mehrotra expired.
Memories are fading, but as I remember, Pragya, Sumedha, Ahona and me used to have a lot of "heated discussions" with Pragya, probably being the only one debating because she really was interested in a discussion, while the rest of us where just indulging in a sophisticated ego trip. When she spoke there were only wide eyed onlookers, people stared at her like she spoke greek! Boys thought she was crazy, but back then I dont think boys knew what deep discussions or passionate causes meant, the only ones who seemed to be interested where either numbered or pseudo intellectuals. Either way, none a match for our spunky girl.
By the end of our school years she was a branded feminist and how I would have loved to join her, if only I had half her dedication to "the cause": whatever it was. If someone asked me how I remember Pragya, I would always say, I remeber her as that graceful, elegant, tall girl with great in depth analytical skills and the wonderful gift of expression. I still remember, she was the only other girl, decked in a plain cotton sarree, her style statement, while all the rest of us strutted our stuff, in silks, chiffons and zardosis.
Over the years, we were never in touch, but that girl was inspiration personified. I was happy to know that she was at law school, getting ready to do perhaps what best suited her personality, standing up for what she thought was right against the wrongs.
Infact, I have not been half as happy knowing about any other contemporary's success, as I was knowing about hers.
Her pics in Mani's profile showed how beuatiful she had become over the years, how much like the Pragya I imagined her to be , when I thought of her. While I think, age , worry, life in general, somehow wilts the struggling ambitious average education seeking individual, she was perhaps doing something she truly loved and thus appeared to be blooming. That captivating, powerful smile, is still etched in my mind.
So when I heard the news from somal about her demise, it was like a bolt of lightening.
I am scared to think what may have happened. I am scared to think what I might hear.
I am not even sure I want to know.
I want to remember her forever like the girl I knew and so admired- the lovely Pragya Freya Mehrotra.

5 comments:

  1. The last time i saw Pragya was when i was in the 8th Grade. That was 8years ago.I had known her since the time we were really little.She was one of the most awesome people i ever knew and she was the kindest too.God recalled one of his angel's,probably the one he needed most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Navroze,

    I think a lot of people feel the way you and I do. I hope and pray God blesses her family and gives them strength. I pray that no one goes through the pain that she may have gone through.
    God Bless us all, May no one lose their loved ones.
    Amrita

    ReplyDelete
  3. H, i was one of Pragya's batchmate and a close friend during law school. When i heard that Pragya had committed suicide, i was traumatized for quite some time, but then i realize that she had made a choice that she had firmly believed for quite sometime.I remember both of us involved in dicussions time and again about this particular subject.

    pragya should be remembered for what she was, a kind and a genteel soul who would never harm anybody, except herself.She was the little voice of peace in an incredibly rude and competitive college.She was beautiful, however she was not aware of it.Many a time i have felt that women are not deep.. they are not even shallow...pragya was an exception to this.

    She was a person who cared for people unconditionally, and it's a shame that such a unique person in this world is not alive anymore.Rather than saythat god had recalled an angel etc..we should look at what kind of world we all have created where the peaceful are being suffocated everyday.it's a shame, it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew Pragya and Parth (Her brother)since 2nd standard. We were together in Chandigarh. I always knew Pragya to be a strong and an active gal in the neighbourhood. I still cherish those childhood days.. when we used to playaround in her house and in the lanes of sector 7 B. She always came up with new creative and innovative good games to play and have fun with. She was the one who taught me how to ride a cycle and the one who got me introduced to the habit of reading books. Though unfortunately we lost touch after 5th Standard and the last I met her was in my sister's wedding in 1997.

    Its such a shock to hear this bad news. I was just doing some google to trace where Pragya is these days and this news is what I end up with.

    I pray her soul rest in peace and my prayers are with her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Prateek,

    I would have never thought that Pragya would dwell on feelings of such finality. What the world had come to and what the future holds is unpredictable. I am still astonished as to what could possibly break her spirit.
    My only regret is that no one could help her get out of this deluge of negativity that met such a sad end.
    I pray for her and all the loved ones who are not with us today. May they forgive everyone here on Earth and May God Bless them and protect them in every Life they take here after.
    May their souls rest in peace.
    Amen.
    JAI GURU.
    GOD BLESS ALL.

    ReplyDelete